Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Coalinga High School Resilency Program

 The drive from Fresno to Coalinga can be a long and ardous road trip.  If You allow it to be.  For me, it was nothing short of delight.  It was me and TED (talks) that is as long as reception allowed.  Then, my mind took me on a whirld wind of emotions and reflections as I passed the laborers working on the lush green fields.  I recalled the hot, muggy and sticky days of summer when I worked the fields.  I can still smell the earthy smells, and the sticky long-sleves (especally around the neck and arms).  I wondered how I got from those fields to my field.    Most imprtantly I tried so hard to to recall my journey with very little success.  I wanted to say the most meaningful things to those students that always awaited my return.  I asked my sould to give me the words which would inspire and transform them  to go from  the earthy felds to a field in which they excel and love?  But no success.  One question led to another, and another, and another.... but still no answers.  And on it went until the last step through the door.  Then, AHA!  It clicked.  Every time.  Their smiles said it all.  It wasn't my words that mattered.  Heck, I could have said the wonderful words of Dr. Martin Luther King...  "I have a dream...."  or JFK's famous words Don't ask what this country could do for you..."  Las palabras se las lleva el viento (words are companions of winds) my father used to say.  

What mattered most was that I was there! 

Guys don't forget our scouts honor (pinky swear) that we made.  I look forward to your invite as you walk through the stage on graduation day. 

Thank you for the gift of allowing me to take part in your journey. 
Dream big and work hard!
Love, Dr. Alfredo Ponce





No comments: