Thursday, April 8, 2010

UPDATES:

Hello all, I hope everyone is having a great time and doing good in school. I just wanted to share a bit with you guys what we did as a closing ceremony for our students. It went pretty well. We had about 22-25 students that show up. We did not expected that many but we were glad that they did show up. Yesenia and I made each of our students a certificate to show our appreciation of them being part of the program. For these kids, I can see that receiving a certificate means something to them because probably they do not receive any often or possible chance of none at all. As for the food, we tried to make it as healthy as it can be for them avoiding the junk food. We taught them about what is consider healthy and what is not. I think that's part of the health session that we were suppose to incorporate. Anyways, we had them make their own sandwich and we asked them to try it with veggies. The sandwiches composed of wheat bread, 98% fat free ham & turkey, fresh cut lettuce, fresh slice tomato, light mayo. We also had them eat yogurt. The yogurt were made out of fruits, fresh slice strawberries and kiwi. The only kind of fatty and sugary thing we had for them was the capris sun drinks and the chips. Other than the food, I personally had a great time with the students along with Dr. Ponce, Eddie and Yesenia. Our students were full of energy and ate mostly everything we bought. =) I did see a change with these students and they had become a lot closer to Yesenia and I. After Eddie and Alfredo left, Yesenia and I stick around with the boys. Instead of playing games, we actually had a group conversation about what are gangs and how you can stay away from it etc. I was surprised these guys were very open up with us (you don't usually find guys doing that =)) . We had a great time overall, I know I kept saying that LOL. When we were about to leave, they didn't want us to, they kept telling us to stay but unfortunately, it was getting late and I'm sure most of their parents were expecting them home already. Well, Ima stop now. I dont think you guys are gonna want to read this much. ;D Hope everything goes well and have fun with your closing ceremonies. Remember, we already made a difference in our students live now lets continue the hard work. =)

No comments: