Saturday, October 16, 2010

We are the ones who decide what's next!

Hello! My name is Gloria Baez, and I have been assigned to the ELD Intervention Program (6th-8th grade) at Golden Plains. This is my first year working with this program, so I’m a little nervous because I don’t know much of what to expect. But thankfully our team has already started preparing for the challenges that are waiting for us!

We have practice some of the lessons that may be offered to the students. At first I thought it was going to be easy to teach to a group of students a lesson that we had created ourselves, but then once we had to presented to others, I realized that not everything had come out the way we would plan our lessons to be. So in this sense I learned that I will always have to be ready for last minute lesson plan changes.

Each of us has been assigned to a district. In my case, I’m not the only one assisting Golden Plains, I have a partner; his name is Jesus. Rebecca, our lead teacher, has done a great job on guiding us to get comfortable with each other. Thanks to our partner/group assignments, I now understand that regardless of the goal that our team receives, we will be able to successfully accomplish it simply because we can rely on each other to get the job done!

One very important concept that I have understood is that the kids that we are going to be working with, are going to be greatly affected by us, not only because we are going to be helping them navigate through part of the educational system, but because we are the ones who are also going to contribute in providing them the basic tools to learn how to become responsible for their own future.

I can even predict that the greatest satisfaction that I will have at the end of the program is going to have realize that the students have develop their capabilities beyond than what they have imagined themselves capable of. Believing in them is all it takes to make a difference in their lives.

Yes, I may be a little nervous, but at the same time I’m excited and eager to start working with the students! I hope that all of our goals are lofty because I know that we can accomplish anything if we all work as a team!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I second that! Go team!!
Rebecca Thao

EDC MIGRANT COLLEGE MENTOR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.