Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hi everyone,

I just want to add a little to what Yadira has been posting about our students over at Riverdale High School. As we visit these students and we learn their stories I am reminded of how furtunate we have been to be in the position that we are now. As students come up to us and ask us about ways in which they can continue their education, I am delighted to tell them that I have suffered their pains and that there are definately ways for them to continue.
It is a great experience to see their (sometimes) skeptical reactions that hide the hope that they have sometimes been so afraid to have.
Two such students approached me last friday as we met with their class. They are unable to get federal financial aid and have a strong passion for soccer. Once I told them that Fresno Pacific could potentially award them athletic scholarships (on top of leadership and many other scholarships) their lack of enthusiasm on filling out the application suddenly dissapeared. I will be going tomorrow to Fresno Pacific to hopefully meet with Coach Javier and ask him about how I can get these two students connected with him and hopefully get them some try outs.

Again, we are very fortunate, and I can see that everyone is doing an awesome job. I will post an update on these students in a couple of days. See you guys soon...

No comments: